Thursday, January 1, 2009

What? No Resolutions?!

A little background info...I LOVE New Year’s Day because I always have a very, very lengthy quiet time(thank you Brian;) where I pray, plan, journal, make lists, and goals. It is always a special time.

Now for a glimpse into today’s journal time.

I looked over my whole journal from the past year - searching to see if there was a theme. Surely the whole year followed the "theme" and verses from last January first. I looked and searched . . . in vain. There was no theme, how disappointing! Not even a thread of commonality?

Well now what? What is the point of once again, sitting down, praying, making a list, writing out my goals, only to look back next year and once again be disappointed?

But wait a minute here. What I do see is, each and every day, every struggle, every heartache, every fear, every doubt, every question, every joy and delight, everything, You spoke to my heart. You heard my cry! You supplied daily all I needed! It was a daily thing, not a yearly thing.

I’m always looking for this grand plan; regardless of the area of life. I’m looking for that "one time answer." Be it organization, cleaning, schedule, routine, scripture, Word from God, just find me the answer or list, I’ll do it and we are done. NO! That is not it. It is "day by day." It is a continual need to be supplied.

It is not take a drink and you are done. No, it is continual, living, flowing waters. I need You daily, hourly, minute by minute.

How dreadfully sad to think You give me one Word the first of the year and say

"there, there you go sweetie, good luck, keep focused on this and we’ll see you again next year."

No, Your way of doing this is far better. You want me to look to You constantly. To ask daily, "what’s the verse or theme or plan or goal for today, Lord"

I can make my lists and plans each new year, but somehow You orchestrate my life in such a way that I need to totally and utterly rely on You every day, all day. My big plans always seem to fail. Your plans seem to stand.

"A man’s mind plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps and makes them sure." (Pr 16:9)

" Yet you do not know the least thing about what might happen tomorrow . . . You ought to say if the Lord is willing, we shall live and we shall do this or that." (James 2:3-15)

"All the ways of man are pure in his own eyes, but the Lord weighs the thoughts and intents of the heart" (Pr 16:2)

SO–

If I do make a "list" perhaps I should hold on to it very loosely~with a whisper of "if it be Your will" and "Roll my works upon the Lord . . . He will cause my thoughts to become agreeable to His Will . . .(Pr. 16:3)

I am in no way saying we should not examine the past, plan for the future, hope and dream. I am just saying He wants me to see His hand daily, seek for His plans and goals, daily. If you were a bit sheepish about making your list of goals due to past failures I hope this speaks to your heart and encourages you as it did me. I will probably share my dreams and hopes for the new year in another post, but somehow it feels different from years past. The words I hear echo in my heart now are...
  • Trust
  • Rest
  • Follow
  • Be Content-Thankful
  • See God in all things
  • Praise Him whatever befall

It will be a good and blessed New Year!

Be sure to check out Biblical Womanhood, where other precious ladies have shared their goals.

3 comments:

Gloria said...

Hi Michelle,
I love your post! You are so right. I am very grateful that God doesn't give me one word for the year and sends me on my way. He faithfully leads and guides every step! You really encouraged me.
Blessings,
Gloria

Michelle (She Looketh Well) said...

Thanks Gloria, don't you just love Him?! By the way your blog is very pretty.

Linda said...

Lovely! Thank you Michelle, I really do like your post. We really need to seek daily. And appreciate His word daily.

I'm loving reading everyone's resolutions and insight. :)

Linda - RS Designs (http://designsbyrs.com) I can't seem to log in here so I'll just comment like this.