Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Split Pea Soup (Nourishing Traditions Style)

I have easily adapted my split pea soup recipe and want to share with you how easy it is to do.

We choose not to eat pork that frequently so I have substituted turkey ham. I wish I could find organic turkey ham, but have not yet.

You can see that by soaking the peas overnight and using homemade stock you have easily adapted your Split Pea Soup recipe to a more nourishing soup!


Nourishing Split Pea Soup


The night before, soak 3 cups split peas in water to cover.

The next day:

Saute in Olive Oil until tender:

2 cups chopped onion
4 cloves chopped garlic
salt and pepper

Add:

3 cups organic split peas, green or yellow (that have been soaked overnight)
3-4 chopped, organic carrots
2-3 organic potatoes, cubed
2 cups cubed turkey ham, sadly not organic, nor grassfed:(
7 cups Homemade Chicken Stock

Stir to mix and bring to simmer, cover. Simmer gently until peas are tender. I have had them tender in about an hour to sometimes 2 1/2 hours.

See more delicious NOURISHING SOUPS and STEWS at The Nourishing Gourmet.

3 comments:

vehementflame said...

I love spilt pea soup. I get organic Turkey ham at whole foods- My husband is allergic to mammal meat so no pork here! But I usually make it without ham- I use fresh herbs like rosemary and thyme to season it. You have beautiful chldren!

Anonymous said...

I have the Nourishing Traditions book but sometimes have trouble finding what I need at the moment I need it! I cool lentils a lot and soak them for 8+ hours with lemon juice in the water. The lemon juice firms them up but I don't want that effect upon split peas and couldn't find an alternative solution in the book. Finding this recipe on your blog solved the problem! Peas are soaking now - :-)

Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

Oops! Should have previewed before posting - I "cook" lentils a lot - not "cool" them - albeit I do cool them before putting into the fridge......lol ;-)