Thursday, January 1, 2009

Things to Do with Preschoolers

I am not sure of where I got all these ideas from. Some of them are from several years ago. I found them on my computer. I hope they help!


Distracting Preschoolers
(While you work with the older kids...)




Toy Rotation: bring out toys like those following that they only get to play with once in a while, or maybe even only while you're working with the other child. I've even had luck with boxing up a bunch of toys, and bringing them out later……the kids think they're new toys!


"Priming the pump." I've found that often if I just take 3 minutes to throw a few new toys out that the kids haven't played with in a while that they find new interest and will keep busy for 15-20 minutes. Just a few minutes of "priming the pump" might yield you that bit of quiet time you need!


Good quality toys like Brio train sets or Brio Mec. These seem expensive, but if you figure the dollar value per hour of playtime, they're cheap! I recommend saving them for the grandkids even though it's tempting to sell 'em off as the kids get older.


Doll houses
Toys horses with stables


Refrigerator/washing machine boxes (these are good for at least 3 weeks of play!). Any cardboard box is a thrill for me kids, and so are those bubble pad sheets for shipping!


Dominos-do you remember lining them up so they would all fall when you touched the first one?


Felt sets


Books on tape with a little kid tape recorder


Junk Mail……save your junk mail and do a "mail call" once a week or so. Let them open it up.


Car maps……these can be the commercial ones made of carpet, or you can even use tape to mark your kitchen floor


Playdough


The Tupperware cupboard-who doesn't have a drawer or cupboard filled with plastic storage containers? Pull them out all over the floor with some measuring cups. If you're brave, and depending on the age, you could even let the child measure beans or water or something else that's safe. Or maybe have them wash plastic containers at the sink.


Legos/Duplos/Lincoln Logs


Animal collections-my kids love playing with these inexpensive museum quality figurines!


Stencils-you can find these cheap or free easily.


Thread cereal rings on spaghetti noodles! You could use Playdough as a base.


Bowling with foam/rubber balls and toilet paper tubes in the hall.


Make a little photo album that's kid safe. I used my "reject" photos and made up a cheap little album for my daughter and she loved looking at the pictures of our family!


A deck of cards to play with!


A cleared out cupboard gives my 5 year old a thrill to hide in! His own little cubby hole!


A toy shopping cart. I see these at garage sales all the time. You can even have the child go collect his toys on the floor!


I don't worry if occasionally I resort to mindless computer games and TV! Once in a while it can be a life saver, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who does it! But I try to keep these two things to a minimum.




Activity Ideas for Preschoolers
From: MrsD
These are things we have done at one time or another. OBVIOUSLY, some require more supervision than others. Many are intended for when the child is near you as you work with other children on their lessons. These are in no particular order. If nothing else, maybe reading this list will get your own creative juices flowing!
· Plastic (or cardboard) coins and a piggy bank - bought or home-made (Pringles can, slit cut in top).
· Playdoh with a plastic knife, rolling pin, cookie cutters, etc.
· Painting: watercolors, paint books, or food coloring in water with a Q-tip.
· Chalk on dark construction paper.
· Scissors and paper (no other objective in mind!)
· Easy-to-use paper punch and strips of paper.
· Stencils, paper, colored pencils.
· Lacing cards: Cardboard shape with holes punched around it. Attach yarn, wrap masking tape around the end.
· Plastic canvas with yarn attached, wrap end in masking tape.
· Poke holes in thick cardboard with a tack.
For further great ideas please see Paula's Archives Awesome resource!!
Preschool Fun!
Abeka Number Cards/Beans
Pattern Matching
Sorting (paper clips)
Toothpick Art
Tracing
Bean Play
Pattern Blocks
Books on Tape
Water Color Paints
Scissor Practice
Paper Punch Fun
Lace and Shapes
Stencils
Cereal rings
Be Read to
Legos
Little People
House Stuff
Kitchen Stuff
Dry Erase
Playdoh
Coloring Books
Markers
Letter Practice in Rice

3 comments:

Christin said...

Wowsers! Thank you for this! I don't think I'll ever have to go on another "Things to Do With Preschoolers" hunt again!

Rina said...

Wow, this is great! I came to this post through your most recent one and it's going straight into my bookmarks!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the advice! I'm teaching my sisters preschool class for a couple of days while she goes out of town so I could use lots of ideas. Hopefully they will occupy themselves too and just play on the daycare playground equipment. Thanks again for the help, I'm sure we'll have a blast.