Monday, March 30, 2009

'Casting' To Find Rest For My Soul


Casting the whole of your care [all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, once and for all on Him, for He cares for you affectionately and cares about you watchfully. (1 Peter 5:7)


Cast your burden on the Lord [releasing the weight of it] and He will sustain you; He will never allow the [consistently] righteous to be moved (made to slip, fall, or fail). (Psalm 55:22)


Blessed be the Lord, Who bears our burdens and carries us day by day, even the God Who is our salvation! Selah [pause, and calmly think of that]! (Psalm 68:19)


Casting my burden on Him! It almost seems easy to cast the big things that are so beyond me, but what about all the little daily thoughts that cause me to leave that place of rest?


. . . the chores not done. . . how to handle a screaming baby. . . how am I going to get all this done

. . . am I reaching their hearts . . . am I missing something. . .what about college. . . when is our van going to sell . . . am I doing enough with our diet . . .


If I choose to glance His way prayerfully and cast each little thing unto Him, peace begins to fill my soul because I can trust He cares for me!


What burdens could you cast on Him, trusting He cares for you?


Matthew Henry Commentary on 1 Peter 5:7


Cast "all you care;" personal cares, family cares, cares for the present, and cares for the future, for yourselves, for others, for the church, on God. These are burdensome, and often very sinful, when they arise from unbelief and distrust, when they torture and distract the mind, unfit us for duties, and hinder our delight in the service of God. The remedy is, to cast our care upon God, and leave every event to his wise and gracious disposal. Firm belief that the Divine will and counsels are right, calms the spirit of a man. Truly the godly too often forget this, and fret themselves to no purpose. Refer all to God's disposal. The golden mines of all spiritual comfort and good are wholly his, and the Spirit itself. Then, will he not furnish what is fit for us, if we humbly attend on him, and lay the care of providing for us, upon his wisdom and love?
For the first part in this series please read Seeking Rest for My Soul

2 comments:

Mary said...

Oh, by the way, thank you so much for the cards I won. They are too beautiful. Lovely. Obviously your daughter made them. Tell her thanks!

Linda said...

Casting all our cares on Him,...because He cares for us! Amen!!!!!
Love, Linda @ Truthful Tidbits