Wednesday, October 17, 2012

More Healthy “Go-To” Meals for Mama

In my last post I shared a few healthy options for Mama.  Not that you can’t make them for your whole family, but sometimes I need something in the fridge for me!  I need an option when Peanut Butter and Jelly is on the menu.  Don’t get me wrong, the PB & J the children had on fresh baked bread, all gooey and ready to be dipped in milk looked fantastic.  But I know I need to make better choices for me, for my health and for my body.

I am LOVING me some Curry right now.  I found this simple recipe and it is so good.  You can make it is mild or hot as you like.

Ok, so here’s the recipe!

Thai Green Curry (I use the Red Curry)

1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast, diced into bite size pieces (already cooked)

2 carrots, diced

1/2 a large head of green cabbage, shredded

3 cups crimini mushrooms

1 can coconut milk

1/2 cup chicken stock

1 tablespoon Thai curry paste (if you are using red paste, start with 1/2 a tablespoon and add more later if you want it spicier – this stuff has a kick! If you use the green paste, I actually use 3 to 3 1/2 tablespoons because it’s much milder and we like the extra kick – experiment and find the amount that works for you!)

1-2 splashes of fish sauce or more to taste

1-2 splashes of coconut aminos or more to taste (you could use soy sauce)

Cilantro

In a large soup pot add the coconut milk and curry paste, mix until blended and bring to a boil. Turn down to low and simmer for 5 minutes. While the coconut milk and curry are simmering, dice up your chicken and chop your veggies. Add the chicken, carrots, chicken broth, fish sauce, and coconut aminos to the coconut milk curry – mix well and simmer for another 10 minutes. Add the cabbage and mushrooms and cook for another 3-5 minutes or until the cabbage is tender. Top with diced cilantro.

From “Everyday Paleo”

Another quick one I love right now is what I call

Sundried Tomato Turkey Burgers

No real recipe, just take some ground turkey, add in some chopped sundried tomatoes and a couple of spoonfuls of prepared pesto.  (homemade is best)  Mash it all together and make into patties.  I cook them in a cast iron frying pan with a fair amount of Olive oil. (again, coconut oil would be better for you)

I love to have this with sautéed mushrooms.  I just dump in a ton of sliced mushrooms while I am frying the burgers.  They get all tasty from the juices of the burger.  This has enough protein and good fats to keep you satisfied all afternoon.

I feel like I am eating a gourmet meal!  I don’t miss those P B & J when I am eating this!

Let me know if you have any questions.  Next time, two more of my favorite veggie dishes. 

No comments: