Thursday, October 4, 2012

Lingering Tiredness

For me, when I am more tired than usual I know to check a few ‘spiritual’ issues. I’m not talking about your normal run of just being tired from a busy time in life.  I mean when profound ‘tiredness’ begins to become a way of life.  A heaviness spirit, soul and body.

I believe many, if not all of the symptoms I had with Adrenal Exhaustion were indeed spiritual.  Things like, Fear (stress and anxiety incl.) Drivenness, Performance, Perfectionism, and others, were a huge part of making me sick.

I want to share with you what the Lord has been showing me lately.  You see, when I ‘take the wheel’ and drive this thing called life, it is more than I can bear.  More than I was made to bear.  I step into Drivenness and begin to feel driven to get things done.  I feel almost pushed.  The fretting begins and it doesn’t take long before EVERYTHING is overwhelming. (fear)

I’m afraid things aren’t going to get done if I don’t do them. (fear)  The things I get accomplished are never enough.  There is always more to do.  My standards are incredibly high, for myself and others.  (perfectionism)

This is just a small sampling of the cycle I can step into.  You can see how one would be tired, can’t you?  I totally believe that we can do ALL that God calls us to do and He will supply the strength.  It can look like a lot, but if it is HIM leading it, He will provide the strength.    I don’t think there is one thing on my plate that I am not supposed to be doing right now, EXCEPT the fretting, driven, fear part. Winking smile(which, by the way, brings the exhaustion)

When I realize this and repent, yes, repent!  Fear, stress, anxiety, drivenness, and the like, is SIN!  It is NOT okay, no matter what the circumstance.  He would not command us to ‘do not fear’ hundreds of times if it was okay to fear.  When I repent and begin to renew my mind and take those lying thoughts captive, strength begins to return.  As well as the joy!

The Lord seems to be showing me verses that talk about strength.  I’ll share one today.

For thus saith the Lord God, the Holy One of Israel; In returning and rest shall ye be saved; in quietness and in confidence shall be your strength: (Is. 30:15)

I studied out some of the words.

Quietness: to be still, undisturbed, tranquility, inner confidence or peace

Confidence:  trust, true belief in God should be exhibited by implicit trust in Him.   The people of God even in their sinful failure should glorify Him by quiet trust instead of reliance on self stratagems and other powers.  This confident trust would bring divine strength and salvation.

In quietness and confidence shall be your strength . . .

. . . when my mind is calm, undisturbed, not fretting, not trying to figure out how I am going to do it all, not taking thought for tomorrow . . .

and

when my trust is in Him, not my own strength or my ideas of how/what needs done . . .then shall I be strong!

All the crazy thinking makes one weak and tired and overwhelmed.

In understand some of you are deep in the throes of Adrenal Fatigue, this is not meant to ‘solve all your problems’.  I am just trying to give you a picture of what goes on inside the mind of a ‘former Adrenal Fatiguer’  who is still in the process of walking this out.  God did dramatically heal me, but it is a daily choice to take thoughts captive or to begin to believe the lies and walk in them.

I haven’t done an awesome job of labeling my posts over the years, but if you want to read more about my life and Adrenal Fatigue, here is the link from the search button on my blog.  Apparently I have mentioned it a time or two. Winking smile

 

1 comment:

Meghan said...

I also have a lot of fear, anxiety and stress in my life. It seems to come from SO MANY sources! I often ask God to remove my fear and help me to trust Him. However, repenting for my fear, anxiety and stress is a new concept for me. And an interesting one for sure! I plan to start this immediately. :)

Meghan