Sunday, October 14, 2012

Healthy ‘Go-To’ Meals for Mama

Life is busy, right?  And if I am being honest, making uber healthy meals for the family has dropped a few rungs on the priority list.  Don’t get me wrong, we still eat far, far better than the SAD (Standard American Diet).  Far better.

I have been purposing to make some really healthy meals for me that are quick and easy, because let’s face it, a forty-six year old mama who has had nine children, adrenal exhaustion and various health issue should not be eating Pesto Pasta, Stromboli and homemade Macaroni Cheese.  Correct?  The children’s body can tolerate this far more than my body. 

So, without guilt, I have chosen to do what they tell you to do on the airplane.  You know, ‘put the oxygen mask on yourself first, before you put it on your child.’  That’s what I am currently doing Winking smile

Here we go.  First, I am crazy in love with Chipotle Mayo.  I make my own homemade mayo, you remember, don’t you?  Check out the link.  No excuses.  Then I simply add some chopped, canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.  YUM!  Add as much or little as you like, they are kind of spicy, but I like it spicy.

A perfect and easy meal for me would be a burger patty (no bun) slathered in homemade chipotle mayo, a side of sweet potato fries (I skip the cinnamon) and roasted green beans.

I roast a whole bunch of green beans, slathered in olive oil and salt and pepper.  That way I have them for other meals.  There is no excuse to not eat your veggies if they are already prepared.

Another quick ground beef meal is ‘Ground Beef Stir-fry’.  I make this up with about 1 1/2 pound organic ground beef and have it for a couple of lunches/dinners during the week.  Super easy, no real recipe. 

Ground Beef Stir-Fry

I brown the ground beef with chopped onion and Olive Oil until done. 

While that is browning I peel/chop any veggies I have on hand.  Red peppers, carrots, celery, broccoli, Napa cabbage, whatever I have and whatever sounds good.

When beef is done, I remove it from the pan and start sautéing the veggies in olive oil.  (I would suggest coconut oil, it is better for you, but I don’t love it)  When they are tender-crisp I put the meat back in and splash with a healthy dose of Coconut Aminos (you could use soy sauce, Tamari or Braggs aminos)

Load up your plate and dig in!

I have a few more recipes I will share this week, Lord willing.  It is amazing how good one feels when they are fueling their bodies with simple, whole foods, like meat and veggies!

What  are your healthy go-to recipes?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds good! When's dinner?!