Friday, November 26, 2010

Sell All That Thou Hast

Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me. (Luke 18:22)
These words stick with me this morning. Maybe it's because I see the phrase 'one thing' pop off the page, that being the type of woman I long to be. A 'one thing' woman. I have always loved this verse wondering how I could apply it to my life.
Today it speaks to me thus,
"sell all that thou hast" What do I have that I could 'sell'? Certainly, possessions, but is there more here? I have my time and how I spend it. Am I willing to give up the things that rob me and others? Am I willing to 'sell' (lay down) things that take me away from obedience to the Word and my family and others the Lord puts in my life?
"distribute to the poor" I don't have to look even beyond the walls of my own house to see the poor. Aren't my children hungry and needy of love? Is my husband 'poor' for love, respect, support?
"treasures in heaven" Oh, how I long to store up those kind of treasures, really I do. I don't always show it by my pursuits, but I do want to have treasures in heaven. Maybe it is time I stop talking about making changes and make them!
"come, follow Me" Ummm, maybe if I 'sold off' some of those things that take up so much time I could be 'following Him' so much more.
Not wanting to sound like a broken record here, but if I don't have time for the things of God, (prayers, meditation, fasting, rejoicing, serving, read and study the Word, worship) and the things and people He has called me to, what do I need to 'sell'?!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your words from the Lord have caused me to dig deeper! Thank you!

Unknown said...

Michelle, I'm speechless right now this touched me deeply. I'm going back to re-read it right now.