Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Grocery List for Nourishing Breakfast Challenge

These are the items you will need for next week's breakfast menu.
Butter
Sucanat (see below)*
Rolled Oats
Steel Cut Oats
salt
cinnamon
Organic Yogurt or Kefir (Plain!) (large container)(see below)**
Organic Free Range Eggs (see below)***
baking powder and baking soda
vanilla
Organic natural peanut butter
Organic dried cranberries or raising and/or nuts to your liking.
onion
greens of some sort, organic spinach or swiss chard
real shredded cheddar cheese
*Sucanat is a less processed form of cane sugar. It is usually by the other baking ingredients in the grocery store or a health food store. If you cannot find it, or choose to not use it, brown sugar will work. I won't dock points for not using the ingredients exactly, this is more about learning a new method. ;-)
**I use Kefir that we make from our own raw milk, but store bought PLAIN yogurt will work fine. I buy Stonyfield Organic Yogurt, whole milk. Please don't buy the fat-free, yuck!
***Buy the best eggs you can, please! You will need enough for a breakfast of eggs for the size of your family as well as 5 (five) for the recipes. (probably 1 1/2 or 2 dozen)
I hope I have not forgotten something!
Our Menu:
Monday: Oatmeal (Soaked of course)
Tuesday: Baked Oatmeal
Wednesday: Egg Frittata
Friday: Yummy Granola (just page down)

6 comments:

Michele said...

This looks like so much fun! I would like to do this so bad, but unfortunately I'm not in my own home right now, or using my own ingredients. I'll probably come back to this some time later this fall. Thanks for doing this though! What a great idea!!!
Michele

Jean said...

Michelle, I am going to try to do this. I will have my two lovely grandchildren in my home Thursday of this week thru Tuesday of next, so I will try to get myself organized in order to get these breakfasts made. It will be fun to test them out on them on Mon and Tuesday anyway! I hope you're going to give us detailed instructions!

Looking forward to it!

JeanM
from t-tapp forum
PS Almost forgot, I don't have a blog to post my results on. :-(

Michelle (She Looketh Well) said...

Jean, welcome! Just email me and tell me how it is going. If you are interested I can still enter you in to win the ebook! Let me know.

I will do my best to be detailed, I am not a 'follow the recipe' kind of gal, I hope that doesn't mess anyone up!

Gombojav Tribe said...

OK, I made the list (had most of the things, actually, except that we go through PB like water around here! Gotta go get some more! And I don't think the greens I have on hand will last until next week.) and am headed to the store!

What fun! I was actually thinking and praying when I went grocery shopping on Monday that I needed to start learning more about soaking and sprouting grains. So, right on!

Do you make your own sprouted grain breads? Maybe you can make a tutorial?

Michelle (She Looketh Well) said...

Gombojav, I have dabbled in soaking/sprouted grain breads. I have not been happy with the turnout. They are okay, but not great. I have made our own whole wheat (fresh ground) for years and it is soft and fluffy, 100 % whole wheat, so, it is kind of hard to accept anything not so soft and fluffy. I am still trying to find a satisfactory recipe.

I have sprouted my own wheat before, cannot imagine sprouting enough for this brood. I did find a place to buy sprouted flour and might try that soon.

Glad you are joining in!

HomemakerAng said...

we are going to try this this week :)