What are some ways that I can turn the conversation around when other women begin to gripe and complain about their children?
When I asked the Lord if He had anything for me to write, the first thing that came to mind was not so much what my answer would be for those who complain and gripe, but what do 'I' do when I am the one complaining or griping.
First, I repent. Complaining and grumbling is blatant sin. No matter how any excuses or reasons I have.
Next, I get out my little book of 'prayers and truths' and start reading and speaking. My little book of Prayers and Truths is nothing more than a journal filled with prayers or truths pertaining to my ongoing struggle of being a joyful and thankful Mama. I picked a yummy feeling journal made of that soft 'Italian' leather type material. It came in my favorite green. I guess I was hoping that if it was pretty and fun to hold I would use it.
When I have lost my joy, it is usually because my focus has become more on me, my circumstances, and feelings instead of on God and His Truth. Sometimes it takes just one time through to get me back on track. Then there are the times it takes days! Surely you must know those days? As soon as I start replacing what I think and feel for the truth, my heart eventually follows.
Here is a peek inside...
- My children are a gift and a blessing from the Lord.
- I love and enjoy my children.
- I delight to spend time with them and listen to them.
- I correct my children with gentleness and patience.
- The law of kindness is on my tongue.
- It is a great honor and privilege to take care of my children's needs.
- I am thankful for this high calling of motherhood.
- I am a joyful mother of children!
- By God's grace, I speak only encouraging and life-giving words to my children.
- I speak to my children with a gentle tongue and soft answers.
- Lord Jesus, may only pleasant and sweet words be spoken by me today.
- Fill my heart with joy this day, I pray.
- Keep my mind and heart calm and undisturbed today.
- Oh Lord, let my heart be joyful and let them see that light in my eyes and so have there hearts rejoice.
- Keep me from anxious thoughts and give me a glad heart today, as I love and nurture my children.
- Cause me to walk in love towards my children.
- Burn a deep, passionate, and selfless love for them in my heart.
- Help me to love as Christ loved me and gave Himself up for me.
- Help me to clothe myself with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.
- Thank You Lord, for the joy that fills my heart.
- I am full of joy because You live in me!
- I am a joyful mother and today our home will be filled with joy.
Lord, today let Thy praise abound. Let joy and gladness resound everywhere. How I long for joy, great bounding, liberating joy; joy in God, joy in the Holy Ghost, joy in life, joy in love. Cause this to be a joyous house today, all day.
I hope this helps or encourages someone who might just struggle as I do. I also write these types of things on note cards. Sometimes it's just the writing it out that helps, other times I carry them around with me wherever I go. Then there are the days I wish I could somehow dangle them from my forehead so they are never out of my sight!
What do I say to others when they complain or gripe?
"You know, I can so relate to what you are saying. When I feel that way I try to quickly remind myself that these children are blessings and a gift" "I know it is hard when it doesn't feel like it, but I have to believe God on this one"
This usually stops the negative talk and at least hopefully plants a seed of truth, as well as let them know that others feel that way too, all while giving them hope.
Check out what other Titus 2 women have to say "At the Well"