Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Special Kind of Love Works!

It is working! If you remember, we were having great troubles with our youngest. We tried everything we knew to stop his screaming and nothing worked. Well, God spoke to me to just love him. He had 'special needs' right now, and we were to love him however he needed to be loved.

Either he is a different child, or we see him differently, but things are significantly better! We still train him regarding obedience, but we love and distract through the screaming. Sometimes in the middle of a rant of his I will start singing, "if you're happy and you know it . . ." everyone joins in, he sees the fun and forgets the screaming.

Or, I'll just scoop him up and start showing him something else and he slowly forgets what he was screaming about. Other times, some love and compassion are all that he needs, not a firm hand and demands to stop screaming.

Brian and I are much less stressed since starting this new approach! We are back to enjoying this little man who, we knew would bring great joy to our family since the moment we found out we were pregnant with him.
Note to self: God's ways are always better than man's ways. ;-)

A few other adorable things about this little guy, if I may.

I often sing hymns to him whenever he lets me snuggle (which isn't nearly enough) and he has taken to singing with me. Most times through his pacifier and never a discernible word, but just a sing-songy sound coming from his heart. This past Sunday during our time of worship, we were all singing from the hymnals and he wanted to join in. He climbed up on Papa's lap and grabbed a hymnal and began to sing with us. It was so precious!


He joins us in prayer by folding his hands, (or holding ours) bows his head, and squeezes his eyes shut tightly. Very adorable. This past Sunday, while we were praying, he spoke out the words, "Jesus . . .Mama". He was praying for me! Such a gift!


Behold, children are a gift of the LORD,
The fruit of the womb is a reward.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior,
So are the children of one's youth.
How blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them;
They will not be ashamed
When they speak with their enemies in the gate.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Michelle,

I needed this post as a reminder that each of our children are different and require different methods of discipline or distraction! Thanks for the reminder.

Wanting What I Have said...

How precious. I love the pic of him in his daddy's lap. Priceless! Thanks for sharing how things are going with him. That encourages me!

Also, Walmart doesn't carry the steel cut oats...so I'll be doing an amazon order. Thank you for sharing that info with me. I can't wait to try it!

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

How wonderful that God is giving you ways to handle him. I have two very strong-willed children and I have to really listen to the Lord on how to parent them. I will be starting to homeschool my four year old next year and I'm trying not to be terrified! I know God will be with me and show me the way!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

What a great post....I love your blog.....

aspiritofsimplicity said...

Very sweet.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I'm so happy that God has shown you what to do. I'm finding love is always the key with parenting. Thanks for sharing the good news with us! My sis and I just came up with a great parenting/homeschool technique called the Consequences Pyramid. So far it is working. Check out my blog if you are interested.

Have a great day,
Jackie

Connie said...

Each child is so different. It is amazing how one thing can make such an improvement, and so challenging to learn what that one thing may be.

METAL.MOMMA said...

Isn't it wonderful how they pick up on things! My ds who is 19m loves saying "AMEN" at the end of prayer time. Everytime he does it at church the whole (small) congregation laughs! Laughs and Prayers, Jess

Monica Sharman said...

Love...yes, that did the trick for us, too, when one of ours was about 4.