Sunday, November 29, 2009

Out of Darkness Comes Great Treasures

Do not fear the darkness, for great treasures come out of darkness
.
Darkness was upon the face of the earth . . . And God said, 'Let there be light . . .' (Genesis 1:2)

. . .great darkness has come on . . .behold a smoking oven and a flaming torch . . . He made a covenant with Abram. (Genesis 15:12 & 17)

. . . thick darkness was under His feet . . . He made darkness His secret hiding place . . . the Lord lightens my darkness. (2 Samuel 22:10, 12, 29)
Light arises in the darkness for the upright . . . (Psalm 112:4)
I still feel like I cannot even grasp, never mind put to words all the Lord is doing in this dark season of my life. It has been a little over four months now, and I feel like its only just begun. I feel so "not done" yet. (I know I never will be 'done' until glory) Just when I think I might be coming up for air, another wave rolls over me.
I don't mean to paint a depressing picture here. It is not that at all! It is amazingly wonderful to be in this place with the Lord. Yes, there are many times it is overwhelming and I feel like I am drowning and am terrified, but there are also times of sweet, intense fellowship with Jesus that are beyond description.

I cannot wrap my mind around how deep the work He is doing in my heart . So much revealing and so much healing. I wonder why so much all at once. I have been through a few very, very trying times over the years, but they all seemed so focused on one particular thing or lesson. This feels so different, so multifaceted. He seems to be coming from so many angles.

In the darkness, when he shines the light of the Holy Spirit on the deep recesses of the heart, things tend to shine quite brightly. Trust me ;-) It is not aways pretty. Well, most often times it's not!

This time of darkness has unearthed many precious treasures. For even the sin and weaknesses, when exposed and repented of, become treasures.

I marvel at the amount of self He has revealed. Self-will, self-love, self-focus, self-consciousness, meaning being so conscious of one's self.

The lack of surrender. Many things on the surface that looked surrendered, yet when examined closely, I was holding onto with both hands. (tightly!)

Many fears, hurts, unresolved heartaches, and most recently, a few 'golden calves' thrown in for good measure.

Out of this darkness has come many treasures of healing, comfort, encouragement, hope, strength and love.

I have no idea how long this intense time of darkness is going to last. There are days I want it to be done, then still others, I don't want it to end.

I am learning so much, about Him, (that's the fun part) and about me. (the not so fun part ;-)
His darkness doesn't always come so intensely, wave after wave. More often, I think it can come to us here and there, little by little. I just want to encourage you not to fear the darkness no matter which way it comes.
Remember, Who it is Who brought the darkness, Who is there with you, and Who will bring you out of it. Trust there will be great treasures that come out of the darkness!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Michelle,

It sounds like a serious time of refinement for you. I will continue to pray for you as you walk with the Lord in this journey He has laid out for you.

Unknown said...

Michelle,

So good to "see" you here again! Truly He is so good to walk *with* us through the deep, dark times. Oh how He loves us! I have missed seeing you here~ wanted you to know that I'm praying for you, friend.

Camille said...

Dearest Michelle ~ Such a beautiful post! God is INFINITELY more wise and wonderful than we can comprehend...thank you for sharing your journey with us. Have a lovely week in the Lord! I have been praying for you.

Love,
Camille

The Pennington Point said...

Well, all I can think is...if not for the darkness, how would we know how wonderful the light is?!

You are on a path to a deeper understanding of what is really important and being closer to Him.

You are in my prayers. Lisa~
www.livingmybestlifeii-lisa.blogspot.com

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Boy, God has that chisel out and is making something beautiful, isn't He. Hang in there. It's not fun to be pounded, chipped and melted into what God wants us to becomes. It is amazing to me how you can still know, see and watch for what he is doing in and through this trial. I tend to look at my trials the same way. I like to learn my lessons the first time around!

You are going to be one BEAUTIFUL lady when all of this is done, in, out and all the way through!

Love you!
Stacie

busymomof10 said...

Yesterday, I spent a good bit of time leaving you a comment, and typing in some verses from Isaiah 58, and none of that showed up here. I think it froze up or something. Oh well, I am not going to type it up again! Please read Isaiah 58, especially verses 8-11! Those verses jumped out at me and made me think of you!

Blessings,
Elizabeth

Betsy Markman said...

I'm so grateful for your faithful testimony of His goodness!