I read this today in my quiet time and was slightly challenged by it. Mostly because I seem to get stuck at number 1 with many of the things I really care about! It is easy to surrender the things I don't care so much about, but then again that isn't surrender is it now?
1. I seek at the beginning to get my heart into such a state that it has no will of its own in a given matter. When you're ready to do the Lord’s will, whatever it may be, nine-tenths of the difficulties are overcome.
2. Having done this, I don't leave the result to feeling or simply impression. If I do so, I leave myself liable to great delusion.
3. I seek the Will of the Spirit of God through, or in connection with, the Word of God. The Spirit and the Word must be combined. If I look to the Spirit alone without the Word, I lay myself open to great delusions also. If the Holy Ghost guides us at all, He will do it according to the Scriptures and never contrary to them.
4. Next I take into account providential circumstances. These often plainly indicate God’s will in connection with His Word and Spirit.
5. I ask God in prayer to reveal His will to me aright.
6. Thus, through prayer, the study of the Word, and reflection, I come to a deliberate judgment, according to the best of my ability and knowledge. If my mind is thus at peace, and continues so after two or three more petitions, I proceed accordingly. I have found this method always effective in trivial or important issues. (George Muller)
How about you, do any of these 'trip' you up?