Tuesday, November 10, 2009

How to Know God's Will

I read this today in my quiet time and was slightly challenged by it. Mostly because I seem to get stuck at number 1 with many of the things I really care about! It is easy to surrender the things I don't care so much about, but then again that isn't surrender is it now?

1. I seek at the beginning to get my heart into such a state that it has no will of its own in a given matter. When you're ready to do the Lord’s will, whatever it may be, nine-tenths of the difficulties are overcome.

2. Having done this, I don't leave the result to feeling or simply impression. If I do so, I leave myself liable to great delusion.

3. I seek the Will of the Spirit of God through, or in connection with, the Word of God. The Spirit and the Word must be combined. If I look to the Spirit alone without the Word, I lay myself open to great delusions also. If the Holy Ghost guides us at all, He will do it according to the Scriptures and never contrary to them.

4. Next I take into account providential circumstances. These often plainly indicate God’s will in connection with His Word and Spirit.

5. I ask God in prayer to reveal His will to me aright.

6. Thus, through prayer, the study of the Word, and reflection, I come to a deliberate judgment, according to the best of my ability and knowledge. If my mind is thus at peace, and continues so after two or three more petitions, I proceed accordingly. I have found this method always effective in trivial or important issues. (George Muller)

How about you, do any of these 'trip' you up?

3 comments:

whitsend6 said...

This was a great post! I unfortunately think that I probably start out tripping up right from the first as well. In spite of good intentions, it's sometimes so hard to willingly pray for something you just don't really want! And then I think secondly it's hard for me not to rely on feelings as well....which isn't a good thing considering the state of my emotions sometimes. Thanks for sharing this. It was an encouraging reminder and one I needed to hear as I seek God's will in several areas.

Tyra

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Michelle,
This is the best explanation I've seen of how to discern God's will. When people tell me, "God told me this, or God told me that", it truly makes me twitch. We have to be so careful about saying something is God's will or we could be taking God's name in vain. I truly think that is what that commandment is warning against, not just people saying, "Oh God" flippantly. I love that you are advocating that we will know God's will through scripture, Holy Spirit and prayer. Great post!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this. This is something I think many struggle with. I definitely need to work on #1! :)