Monday, June 15, 2009

Marriage Monday "Praying For Our Man"




Today let's talk about praying for our man! I float in and out of consistency with this one. I wish I would say I daily, regularly and methodically pray for my husband. I am sure we all aspire to that.

I’ll share a couple of resources I have used over the years. Please, share any and all of your ideas.

One book I have used many times is "Power of a Praying Wife" by Stormie Omartian. If you don't have this book, you can buy a used copy on Amazon used for only a penny plus $3.49 shipping! This is a great book that consists of 31 chapters, each focusing on a different subject to pray for your husband. After I read through the book the first time, I then went through and highlighted just the parts of the prayer that applied to my husband and I. Every time through from then on I just prayed through my highlighted sections.

This would be a great summer read! Depending on the season of your life right now, you could do it all in one month, or spread it out into July and August.

Another list I have used from time to time called is called Praying for your husband. It was nice to break things up by praying my own prayer using this as a reference when the Power of a Praying Wife seemed to get monotonous.

One habit I have gotten into is praying for Brian at night in bed. I have a hard time falling asleep as quickly as he does, so I place my hand on his back and begin praising and thanking God for him. It then turns into praying for wisdom, understanding, and favor; whatever the Lord puts on my heart. I love this because I kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. One, I pray for him, and two, I usually fall asleep quicker. ;-)

I also have picked out certain scriptural prayers from the Word of God and have typed these up and regularly prayed them for him. Ephesians 1:16-20, Colossians 1:9-12, 1 Thessalonians 5:23 should get you started.

So, how about you? Do you have a method or plan you use that you could share with us to faithfully pray for our husband?

Have you read “The Power of a Praying Wife”? Are you up to a challenge to pray every day for your husband for a whole month?


Lord Jesus, amidst the busyness of life please draw us unto You and remind our hearts to pray for our husbands. By Your Holy Spirit cause us to diligently pray for them. Give us supernatural insight and wisdom into what they need that only You can meet and the then the discipline to bring it to Your throne.

2 comments:

Collette@Jesuslovesmums said...

Hi Michelle
I love this theme of Marriage Monday!! What a challenging post! I don't pray nearly often enough for my husband and I am certainly encouraged to do so after reading this. I would be up for your challenge for praying each day for a month for hubby.
Great idea!
Love Collette xx

Valencia Jones-Edwards said...

YOu have such a heart for marriage. Thanks for keeping the rest of us on tract. I love your MM.