Thursday, August 20, 2009

Little Boys, Pencil Sharpeners and Grace!

I am enjoying my sweet little 5 1/2 year old little boy so much lately. When I read this post about another mom's observations of her little boy it touched my heart so.

My sweet little guy comes up to me flashing his huge blue eyes, (most of my children have huge brown eyes) and shows me his bleeding finger.

"Honey, what happened to your finger" as I wrap a tissue around it.

"I was holding onto the pencil sharpener and it hurt my finger" he says batting his eyes swiftly in an effort to hold back the tears.

"Sweetie, did you stick your finger in the pencil sharpener"

"Yaaaeeeessss" he says all drawn out and with a sweet lisp.

I hug him tighter, fighting back the urge to chuckle and say, "Oh honey, mommy is so sorry you got hurt, maybe next time we just won't put our finger 'in' the pencil sharpener, okay?"

Why do I choose to post this little story? Well, because, in my heart, it is a work of God's beautiful grace. You see, not too long ago I might of let this little guy know in no uncertain terms the complete foolishness of putting one's finger into pencil sharpeners. He would have walked away with a complete understanding of the workings of a pencil sharpener, the dangers and probably be banished from ever touching one, ever!

I am so thankful for the work that God is doing in my heart towards these children. Thankful He doesn't give up on me. Thankful for new mercies every morning. And so thankful that by His grace, I was able to look past a foolish incident and touch the heart of my sweet little boy.

2 comments:

whitsend6 said...

Very encouraging post! I too have realized lately how quickly I make a big deal over pointing out the faults of why the kids got hurt instead of just comforting them when they are. I definitely need the Lord's help in working on my heart towards my children. And I'm so thankful that He never fails to keep showing me ways to grow! Thanks for sharing. Have a great day!
Tyra

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I'm so convicted! Pain is a lesson in itself, I don't need to add to it with a lecture.

Also loved the other gal's post. Thanks for sharing the link!