Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The Evil Twins

That’s what I like to call ‘Envy and Jealousy’.  They are so evil, and I hope to help you recognize them clearly when I am done with this little series on, “The Evil Twins”.

Envy: painful or resentful awareness of an advantage enjoyed by another joined with a desire to possess the same advantage; feeling discontent because of what someone else has.  Actually disliking another because of it.

Jealous: hostile toward a rival or one believed to enjoy an advantage.

I personally have experience on both sides of these Evil Twins.  I have struggled with Envy and Jealousy myself, and have been the one that others have envied or were jealous of.  Neither is good.  Both places are miserable.

Envy and Jealousy seek to:

  • Divide and isolate
  • Condemn and rob one of all joy and gratitude
  • They cause us to accuse and be bitter towards God, others and even ourselves
  • They make us mean and ugly
  • They cripple us from functioning as the Body of Christ, to love and encourage
  • We ‘spin out’ focusing on what others have and we miss what we have

Ladies, we need each other.  The older I get, and the more I embrace who I was created to be, the more amazing and wonderful I realize we women are.  We were created to be in relationship, to need each other.  But here’s the deal, we simply cannot love each other the way we were meant to as long as Envy and Jealousy have a place in our hearts.

Imagine a world in which we are so content with who we are and what we have.  A place where we trust our Father to provide for ‘our’ needs, and we are are not threatened by our sister’s successes, strengths or gifts, but where we  actually celebrate them with her.   I know this might sound like something we need to wait to experience until we get to heaven, but I don’t think so.  I think we can have just a little bit of heaven here on earth.

Join me on this journey of exposing The Evil Twins??  I’d love to hear from you along the way.

1 comment:

Farmgirl Cyn said...

oh, so true.
it has been difficult for me to be happy for others who have a home, a family that is serving the Lord, etc...when much of that was lost for me.
i am re-claiming that which the enemy has stolen from me...and seeing victory more and more each day.