So many very clear commands in Your Word. Simple, one sentence commands. Are they there for a reason? Could You possibly expect us to obey them?
A few that come to mind . . .
- do all things without complaining or grumbling
- give thanks in all things
- Love the Lord your God with all your heart
- meditate on My law day and night
- do nothing out of selfish ambition
- rejoice always
- watch and pray
- let no unwholesome talk ever come out of your mouth, but only that which is good . . .
- wives submit to your husbands
- pray always
- be anxious for nothing
- count it all joy when you fall into temptations
- be ye not conformed to this world
- speak not evil one of another
Yeah but . . .you don’t know ‘my’ life, or ‘my’ husband or ‘my’ children, or ‘my’ circumstances.
Yeah but . . . I have a life, you know, like it really means ‘all my heart’ or ‘day AND night’.
Yeah but . . . there is no way it means NO unwholesome talk, try spending a day in my house.
Yeah but . . . isn’t that ‘legalism’? He knows we aren’t perfect and can’t be so He doesn’t really expect us to obey ‘every’ thing.
Yeah but . . . it is NOT easy.
Yeah but . . . the law killeth, but the Spirit giveth life.
Yeah but . . . Christ set me free from having to obey everything.
Yeah but . . . Jesus said, “if you love Me, keep My commandments.” (John 14:15)
He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him. (John 14:21)