Sunday, December 27, 2009

Your Will, Not Mine

I am a planner, a 'doer', an organizer, a 'let's get going' kind of gal. I've got things I would like to do, lots of things. I feel it even more so, this drive to do, to accomplish, as it feels as though these last five months have been 'on hold'. I don't know if I am physically or mentally up for more, but it seems like something should get going here. Something should be scheduled or added back in or at the very least, there are so many things to be addressed. Right, Lord?

As I seek Him, looking forward to the new year, as usual my head is overflowing with all the ideas, the 'shoulds' the 'have-tos', the 'I'd like tos'. It is feeling a bit familiar. I am excitedly running ahead again. I am letting my thoughts, opinions and will rule my mind and heart.

I hear Him calling me back, slowing me down, saying, "Breathe, My child, breathe. Do you want to run off with your will or walk with Me doing My will?" I stop. I breathe in. I breathe out. Humbly I bow and remember a favorite hymn.

Have Thine Own Way, Lord

Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way!
Thou art the Potter, I am the clay.
Mold me and make me after Thy will,
While I am waiting, yielded and still.

Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way!
Search me and try me, Master, today!
Whiter than snow, Lord, wash me just now,
As in Thy presence humbly I bow.

Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way!
Wounded and weary, help me, I pray!
Power, all power, surely is Thine!
Touch me and heal me, Savior divine.

Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way!
Hold o’er my being absolute sway!
Fill with Thy Spirit ’till all shall see
Christ only, always, living in me.

Adelaide Addison Pollard

Is this not what I want? Him having HIS way in me?

At His feet, I put down all of my ideas, thoughts and plans, and whisper, "Have Thine own way, Lord."

4 comments:

Camille said...

Oh I LOVE this hymn Michelle...thanks for sharing with us your heart and your thoughts. God is SO GOOD and does ALL THINGS well! Never forget that...DO slow down...enjoy life as it was meant to be lived...purposefully and much more slowly than our society dictates! We are meant to "be still and know..." how can we do that in the busy lives we maintain??

Have a wonderful week!
Blessings,
Camille

Michele said...

Hmmm, this is such a good word for me as well right now. I've got so many "new" things planned for this upcoming year, but you are right, I need to remember to pray, "Have Thine Own Way Lord"! Thank you!!
Michele

The Pennington Point said...

I just want you to know that you have been a blessing and encouragement to me this past year. Blessing to you and your family through the new year! Lisa~ www.livingmybestlifeii-lisa.blogspot.com

Happy Hermit (happilyhiddenhermit@gmail.com) said...

As a Chronic Doer myself I must say thank you , your words resonate beautifully.