Tuesday, December 8, 2009

I Am Only Passing By This Way Once . . .


Then the King will say to those at His right hand, Come, you blessed of My Father [you favored of God and appointed to eternal salvation], inherit (receive as your own) the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.

For I was hungry and you gave Me food, I was thirsty and you gave Me something to drink, I was a stranger and you brought Me together with yourselves and welcomed and entertained and lodged Me,

I was naked and you clothed Me, I was sick and you visited Me with help and ministering care, I was in prison and you came to see Me.

(Matthew 25:24-26)


After reading this scripture, this lovely post at
this post from
and a few other devotionals, the Lord has been stirring my heart, this is the message that is coming through loud and clear.

I am only passing by this way just once. I don't know if I will have the opportunity to love, hug, or encourage this one again. People are hurting, confused, battered all around me, even in my own home, but also extending out to family, friends, people I pass by at the store. What will my response be to the hurting, the hungry, the wounded, the needy?

Could it be that child causing so much strife is just hungry for the love of Christ available in a hug from me?

The daughter that seems to butt heads with me as she struggles to find her place, her purpose . . .is she thirsty for approval or encouragement?

That family member that seems to be such a drain on me emotionally . . . are they hungry for love? Are they just a little scared to see their life fading away, and just need to know they are cherished, important and that, yes, they do matter, and their life counts for something?

The quiet old man who walks with his head hanging low, seemingly so sad and alone . . .?

The frustrated and weary young mama with a crying baby in her arms and two screaming toddlers at her knees . . .?

Yes, I might only be this way just this once, what will I do?

Will I feed the hungry? Give drink to the thirsty? Welcome the stranger? Visit the prisoner?

Lord Jesus, open my eyes to the needs around me. Fill me so full of Your Spirit that Your love oozes out of me. As I go about my day, may the hurting, the hungry, the broken, the wounded be comforted and loved with Your loving Spirit in me.

5 comments:

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

My daughter and I have been clashing a lot lately. She is having a hard time with self control. Instead of always being frustrated, I am going to take the time to stop what I am doing, look into her eyes and tell her how much I love her.

Unknown said...

Oh, wow! Did you ever touch my heart with these words this morning! Those verses from Matthew are some of my favorites.

Heather Mattern said...

What wonderful convicting words you have posted here! I needed to stumble upon your blog this morning! Thank you!

Jen said...

Apples of gold!!! Thank you :)

Alison said...

Powerful- thank you!