Thursday, November 8, 2012

Fretting

I just can’t shake this quote.

“Fretting arises from our determination to have our own way.”  (Oswald Chambers)

Fretting arises from my own determination to have MY own way.  My way, my will, not His way or His will. 

It’s where I clench my fists and with gritted teeth say, ‘it’s my way or the highway’. 

My way of being treated.  My way of how or what gets done.  My way is the way it has to be for me to be happy and joyful.

I’ll fight and fuss, and by George, this is the way it is going to be!  And when it does not go my way, well, it’s not pretty.  The fretting begins.

The sighing, the knotted stomach.  The shoulders that tense and rise.  The mind begins to race with ways to change the circumstances or force solutions.

Peace is long gone.  It has since been replaced with anxiety.  Fretting.

Ever notice you cannot simultaneously fret and be joyful?

You cannot fret and be at peace?

You cannot fret and trust?

Fretting is utterly incompatible with the Christian life.  Simple as that.

Surely I can’t be the ONLY one to struggle with fretting, right?

What is your battle plan for overcoming fretting?

Be anxious for nothing, (do not fret!)  but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

3 comments:

cooperkelly4 said...

this is so good! The verse I can not shake lately is:
Job 23:16 "It is God who has made my heart faint, And the Almighty who has dismayed me..."

That word "faint" means to soften- it is God who softens my heart. Lots of heart softening going on here. =0)

Unknown said...

TRUST! I quote verses out loud on God's faithfulness, strength and love for me.

I'm a fretter by nature. I like to feel I have everything under control. I'm learning to let go or rather He's showing me through circumstances in my life that I NEED to let go.

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

God has been working overtime trying to get this out of me. I fret and am dismayed and discouraged so easily. I want what I want and when I don't get it I get angry. I worry and I don't trust. I am not responsible for the "how" God is going to do this thing, I am responsible for obeying.