Friday, March 16, 2012

Have You Ever Wondered?

I have sensed the Lord’s voice several times in my heart lately. I think I have heard Him encouraging me to look around and see.  See that, just maybe, this life I am living IS the beautiful, although messy, life I have always dreamed of.

I have spent so long trying to be a certain way.  Be a certain type of mama, wife and home maker.  Not sure where I got my pictures of what that should really look like, but always striving to be something that I am not right now.

I have been slowly seeing that I am who He created me to be and I actually like me!  As I have stopped trying to “BE” and accepted who I am, life has gotten a lot more enjoyable.

The enemy can blind us into chasing after this ‘perfection’ that we don’t enjoy right where we are right now.  I asked Brian a couple of weeks ago, ‘what if I just stopped ‘looking’ for something else and just enjoyed what I had?’  Seems like a no-brainer, I know.  But think about it.

What if you stopped thinking about all the flaws and weaknesses in yourself and just started thanking God for the strengths that you do have?

What about not looking at all the areas in your parenting that are amiss and just trust God to work those out.  You might actually start enjoying being a mama again instead of always feeling like you are ‘such a bad mama’.

What if you stopped looking at all the areas your husband doesn’t measure up to the other men at church, or the men who give the homeschool conference teachings, and just started enjoying him as he is?

I have been stopped in my tracks lately as I look around here.  A friend stopped over the other day and saw my husband working on a piece of furniture, me working along side him.  The little children were all running around outside, in the sunshine, chasing chickens back into the coop.  The older ones were in the house doing school.  I paused, oh.my.word.  This is exactly what I have dreamt of.

I don’t know if I am explaining it well, but what if what we have is really what we have always wanted??  If we could take off the perfection glasses and the critical spirit and begin to be thankful for right where we are we might find we are pretty blessed.

4 comments:

Linda said...

I give you an A+ for this post Michelle. I am 61 and I am now content with who I am...and how God made me! When I was young and insecure I couldn't say that...but over the years God has shown me so many times that He loves me just the way I am! That is such a wonderful thing.

Enjoy your new-found contentment girl. Much love, Linda

Linda said...

I see I'm the second Linda to comment. I wanted to just say "Amen". You stated it perfectly! But I admit it is easier said than done. At 56 I am getting closer.I know I am where God wants me and I am truly blessed.
Linda

Handmaiden4Yah said...

That was indeed a beautiful post! My favorite part was: "I have been slowly seeing that I am who He created me to be and I actually like me!"

So many times we look around and we see people doing big things - missionary work, doctors and lawyers, politicians who seem to change the world, people of big influence. But you know what, we have a big influence too. Everyone says that this generation is our future and it's true. But we raise 'this generation' and the more godly mothers and fathers who can raise godly children, the better and brighter the future looks. We are raising men and women to be used by God in great ways in the Kingdom.

It's easy to look at the ins and outs of every day and feel we arent really doing a whole lot outside of the sphere of our little home. But from within the sphere of our little home are the greatest things to equip our children - love, stability, understanding of the Scriptures, and the presence of the LORD. Our home is a haven and a teaching grounds.

busymomof10 said...

Beautiful post!

I especially Loved this part:

but what if what we have is really what we have always wanted?? If we could take off the perfection glasses and the critical spirit and begin to be thankful for right where we are we might find we are pretty blessed.

Beautifully said!