Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A Correction in “Where I Am From”

I re-read my last post and saw what could be a huge misunderstanding!!  Because I was following the prompts to the poem the sentences were obvious run-ons and if read incorrectly, give the wrong message.

Here is how it is written:

I’m from Christmas at grandma’s and grudges and bitterness and unkind words from a mother who couldn’t take it anymore and a dad who was very sad.

It insinuates that the ‘unkind words’ came from my mother who couldn’t take it anymore.

Here is the correction:

I’m from Christmas at grandma’s and grudges and bitterness and unkind words. (PERIOD) (NEW SENTENCE)I am from a mother who couldn’t take it anymore and a dad who was very sad.

What I was talking about is that my mother couldn’t take her life as it was anymore and my parents were subsequently divorced.  Therefore, my dad was very sad, because in his eyes, she left for no apparent reason.

Does this make sense?  I hope so.  My heart sunk when I read it in the original form.  While my parents were divorced and we lived with my dad, God has gloriously restored my relationship with my mom. 

As an adult married woman, I now see so much clearer why she left and realize it takes two to begin a marriage and two to end a marriage.  I love and appreciate both my parents and the love they have for me and I know that they have loved as best as they could!

I hope this clears a few things up Winking smile  Thank you for grace.

1 comment:

Farmgirl Cyn said...

I knew what you meant....

I do not think I can do this one for myself...too raw right now.

Miss you and can't wait for the flea mkt to start!