Friday, June 18, 2010

Challenge For the Day




This verse gets me every time! Especially in the Amplified version. I'm thinking of my mothering today, but it surely can apply to ALL of life and ALL relationships. Read through it and see if you are not challenged too.



Let no foul or polluting language, nor evil word nor unwholesome or worthless talk [ever] come out of your mouth, but only such [speech] as is good and beneficial to the spiritual progress of others, as is fitting to the need and the occasion, that it may be a blessing and give grace (God's favor) to those who hear it. (Eph. 4:29)



The word EVER pops off the screen to me. EVER?! Seriously? Seems clear, no foul, polluting or evil word, nothing unwholesome or worthless? How many 'worthless' things come out of my mouth on any given day?



Can I imagine my home today with only good and beneficial words coming out of my mouth? Only words that are beneficial to the spiritual progress of my children? Or husband? Or others?



I told you it would be a challenge!



Let me know what you think of this verse. Is it a challenge for you too?

9 comments:

Josh said...

This is definitely a challenge for me also! Some times I will be in conversation with someone and afterward I think: "Did anything I say encourage this person or reflect my love for the Lord...If that person didn't know me, would they even see I am a Christian?"

I am continually praying that I would grow in my maturity and in Christ. It is my prayer to be a light on a hill. So far, I have a long way to go, praise the Lord it is a continual journey not a one-time destination, right?!

Thanks for the encouragement!
Josh

Country Girl in the City said...

Oh is this ever a challenge for me!! I have been struggling with being patient with the kids. How many times have my words and my tone been harsh and far from beneficial..... I need to pray for strength and patience...

Thanks for this post, I needed to read it!

Coby said...

Wonderful! The Lord has been putting "MORE purity" on my heart, and this verse just leaped out at me when I read it on the screen. Thank you for this, I know I need kinder words, more wholessome words, gentler, more edifying words to come from my lips.

Jenna said...

Convicting! Josh and I were just talking yesterday about language and if we encourage anyone at all when we are speaking with them...

Thank you for the verse! I am taking the challenge today...and while I'm at it, I think that I'll type out this verse in a pretty font and paste it on my bedroom wall...and it'll stare at me when I wake up, but it will also be on my mind and in my heart.

Blessings to you Mrs. G!
~Jenna

Simply Natural Homestead said...

Just this morning I was praying for patience and kindness today. Seems like those are always the days the devil tempts me even more. So yeah, it's a challenge. Shouldn't be, but it is!

Wanting What I Have said...

Oh yes, this verse very much challenges me. It's always interesting how the Lord convicts my heart in an area and then faithfully supplies encouragement from so many different places...you being one of them! Thanks for taking the time to share.

Camille said...

A challenge? Oh yes! May the LORD put a watch over my mouth each day...and make me more like HIM! Thanks for sharing...you are a blessing Michelle. :)

Love,
Camille

Unknown said...

Oh, I know! That verse convicts me every time I read it.

cooperkelly4 said...

yup, convicted here too. =0) I have just been meditating on being "gentle and quiet" and specifically how I speak. This all came about as I heard my children speaking harshly to each other.....Lord know that is my example. I am determined to be changed by the Lord and speak kindly. =0)