Sunday, September 18, 2011

How His Word Soothes

I am not sure why it always amazes me, the power, the beauty and the wonder of His word.  Do I somehow forget how comforting the living Word is?

It doesn’t matter what ‘season’ we are in, what kind of crazy circumstances or storms we are weathering, His life giving Word can soothe our souls.

This morning my ‘soul’ was feeling a bit frazzled and frayed.  Nothing horrible is going on, but life has been at an unusually frenetic pace for the past several weeks.  Again, nothing too terribly big, just a lot of busy things. 

Simply being a mom to nine (ten if you include my precious daughter-in-law), a Mimi to two keeps me hopping.  Thank You, Father for the gift of children and the strength and health to be all that! Winking smile

Now add into that mix, ministering to who the Lord puts in my path, (why did I ever question if I would have a ‘ministry’?!) figuring out the school year for six children, starting a business of sorts, a very ill father, a mama who is moving across the country . . . oh, yes, feeding, cooking and managing this home.  Not to mention, I have an awesome man who needs his woman every now and again. Winking smile  

Can you see how one might be a little frayed around the edges?  I have sensed His keeping these past weeks.  Often times I hear that still small voice to ‘be still and know’.  To keep my eyes on Him and I will have perfect peace.  I have had to stop and breathe and say, ‘okay, Father, what next?’

But this morning, feeling a bit like, ‘where do I even start?’  So much swirling around me.  My thoughts flit from one thing to the next, no peace.  '”What about this?  How am I going to do this?  Should I be doing that?  I want this or that.”

I read Psalm 37.  Calm washes over me.  Peace begins to reign again.  I write out verses that are speaking to my heart.

Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed .

Ahh, simply trust in Him and do good, do what is in front of me.

Delight thyself also in the LORD: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. . . Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass. . . And he shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light, and thy judgment as the noonday.

Delight myself in HIM!  Commit all of this to HIM!  Trust HIM!  He will bring it to pass.  Ahh,  breathe in, breathe out.

Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way . . .

Rest in HIM!  Wait and fret not, still breathing.

The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way. . . Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand.

My steps are ordered by the Lord, even though I fall I shall not be utterly cast down, He upholds me with His hand!  I don’t need to do it all, I can rest, I can wait, I can trust, He upholds me.

See how this works??  Don’t you just LOVE His Word?  Where do you find yourself today?  A bit frazzled and frayed?  Have you run to His Word?  You really can’t go wrong, the whole book is awesome Winking smile  Share with me what is speaking to your heart lately.

Love you and miss my time here.  Thankful for the moments to share my heart.

6 comments:

cooperkelly4 said...

I so get this! It has been super busy here too. Nothing bad, just very busy and a little bit of a frazzling pace. I find it is easier for me to get frustrated or be quick/sharp in my responses when I am feeling that way. I finally put up a favorite photo with a Bible verse reminder: "The anger of man does not bring about the righteousness of God" -in me or my kids!

Elaine said...

I was so glad I came over to your blog this morning. The Psalm is just what I needed. I plan to read it this morning and sit quietly before the Lord.

Right now in my life the Lord keeps speaking these words to me: TRUST ME!

Anonymous said...

What a blessing this Psalm was to me today! Thank you for posting this. You always have "a word" for my heart, it seems.

My favorite passage right now is Colossians ch 3 (the whole thing). I am actually working on memorizing the entire book of Colossians. I know that the Lord will have to supernaturally do the work, because I have a tired brain (three kids, and we homeschool, 'nuff said, right?!) and I am terrible at memorization. But He is faithful and is implanting his precious Word in my heart, bit by bit!
-Lindsay

Coby said...

Ahhh...still basking in the freedom and healing He has brought me! To my spirit, soul, and physical body!

This morning I looked ahead to the next couple of days and weeks and started to get a little overwhelmed, could hear fear and anxiety knocking at my door. I just stopped what I was doing, rebuked the fear and anxiety, and started praying, and opened my Bible to Romans 8:6: "For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the spirit is life and peace."

This has been "my" verse of late - reminding me to focus on Him - on His will, His word; to worship Him in the midst of everything, to rest in Him and find peace! I am amazed at the power of His word!!!

Kathryn D. Duke said...

This post was like a special poem to me all wrapped in a pretty bow!! It calmed me and YES reminded me of who is in control...thanks!

Along the way said...

Oh , dear woman of God, how i needed this tonight! You have encouraged me greatly in the Lord. Thank you so much!!