Friday, June 4, 2010

NO EXCUSES Mayonnaise!

I have put together a series of videos showing you just how easy it is to make your own mayonnaise without all the bad oils and chemicals that are in store bought mayonnaise.

If you can get a decent source of eggs, it really is so easy and tastes delicious. I would NOT recommend using regular, run-of-the mill store bought eggs. Most stores have organic eggs and some even have free-range eggs.



The basic recipe that I used for each of the videos is as follows.


Homemade Mayonnaise


2 egg yolks


1 T. lemon juice


1 T. white wine, rice or champagne vinegar


1. t. Dijon mustard


1 t. sea salt


dash of garlic powder, onion powder and sugar


1 1/2 cup of oil of your choice (I use a combination of sunflower and olive oil)


Just find the 'tool' you have in your home and watch that video. I now exclusively make my mayonnaise with my stick blender. I can have it mixed in as little as 28 seconds. I even make it in the jar I store it in. Super easy clean-up. I have made it several times in the blender and food processor. Both work equally as well. I have only made it by hand once, and it would not be my first choice as it is a little bit of work, but it can be done.


So, YOU HAVE NO EXCUSES to not make your own mayonnaise and make this simple healthy change. Okay, you know I am kidding right? I am not putting pressure on you, just trying to make it fun and easy. If you are knee deep in toddlers, pregnant, sick and/or overwhelmed, please, by all means go buy the mayonnaise from the store! I will still love you, and actually, find you very wise ;-)


The first two videos have my sweet two year old in them helping me. So cute. And the last video features my second oldest son doing all the work!


If you choose to make your mayo in a blender, this one is for you.

Blender Mayo


For food processor instructions, watch this one.


Food Processor Mayo



If you are so blessed enough to have a 'stick blender', watch this one.


Stick Blender Mayo (a.k.a. Immersion Blender)
Make sure you keep the stick blender down on the bottom of the jar until you get about 1/3 to 1/2 of the mixture emulsified. If you don't do this, it will not work. Ask me how I know!



If you are crazy or don't have a blender, food processor, stick blender, or live without electricity (which might qualify you for crazy ;-) watch this one.




Mayo Made by Hand




9 comments:

cooperkelly4 said...

thank you! You may not know this, but you have been a huge encouragement in so many ways. One of them is Nourishing Traditions book. I am seriously going to have to get my own copy!

Wanting What I Have said...

Michelle,
We don't even like mayo...we avoid it like the plague. I have come up with a chicken salad recipe that makes almost a gallon of chicken salad on 2T of mayo...but I made your homemade version the last time you posted about it (at least, I think it was you...). I LOVED it! And anytime I need mayo and have the time, I'm using your recipe! So glad you shared!

Farmgirl Cyn said...

YOU were my inspiration for the 1st time I made mayo this winter. LOVE IT!

Tiffany - The Coconut Mama said...

Hello! I found you on The Nourishing Gourmet site. I just made homemade mayo today. I used coconut oil. Its sooo delicious!

Cara said...

I love this! So easy and throughly explained. Going to share on Facebook :)

Regan Family Farm said...

This is next for us...thanks for making us feel so capable :)
Big hugs~
Kathy

anonymous said...

Thanks for recipe. I tried it with my immersion blender but it only worked if I pour in the oil slowly not all in one go like in your video. Maybe it's to do with the quality of the blender. Which immersion blender do you have?

Michelle (She Looketh Well) said...

Hi Olivia, I have a Cuisinart, probably around the $50-60 price range (it was a gift), but I don't think that should matter. Are you keeping the blade down at the bottom of the jar until it is almost done? I have actually had a few batches fail, which is shocking because I cannot even count the amount of times I have made it with my stick blender. My thought is that I was lifting it up too soon. I am going to buy some cheap oil and eggs and make some practice batches to see.

Cinnamon said...

That does look easy. I will give it a try :-) Thanks for doing all the work to make it so easy for us~

~Cinnamon
p.s. I came over from Feminine Farmgirl